My life as a bicycling Time Trialist has slowed down a bit lately. Last year, I decided that I too probably could benefit from a coach, so I hired one. I'm very happy with this and I follow her training plan as best as I can. I respect her (and her advice) highly. After all, she is the world Masters (female) Champion. I don't think one can argue with the rainbow jersey. While I feel I am getting fitter, I still haven't seen my times drop as much as I would like.
My diet has changed dramatically from last year. While my diet was quite healthy, it is now "more healthier". My weight has started to drop again after a few months on hold. So, it isn't what I eat that's holding me back.
I train rather religiously, and it does bother me when I miss a session. (Really...)
The last two TT's I rode, I had hoped to see some "bang for my buck" in a lower time. Last month however, I rode my first TT in the rain. This wasn't just a little rain, but a near cyclone at times. It was raining so hard that I really didn't need my glasses. None the less, I soldiered on. I figured if nothing else, I was going to finish. After all, I was wet, really wet, and I wasn't going to get much wetter.
Now, I'm not the most religious person, fact is I haven't been to church an many years, but I do believe. I learned many years ago, not to pray for "things" and to pray for something, well, meaningful. Not being too selfish, I figured it would be safe to ask God to "help me do my best". Okay, so God wanted me to build my character a bit, maybe a lot even. I figured he/she was just letting me know how bad things could be to ride in, and at the end of the day I was going home to a nice, dry place. Many don't have that luxury. I think God also taught me that it was time to learn some bicycle maintenance.
The last TT I was in, I again asked for "help to do my best". I got my prayers answered pretty much to what I was hoping for. The road had been resurfaced it seemed, and was quite smooth. Should be a nice ride. The torrential rain that woke me in the middle of the night had all but stopped, and by the time I started, it was a gentle drizzle. Wind was almost non-existant. It was all up to me now, and off I rode.
My coach told me to focus on maybe riding two 19 minute laps, in the end, I did two laps in 21 minutes, disappointing.
So, I have done everything I thought I could do, the only thing left is to spend MORE time on the bike. The school holidays are looking pretty good for this. I'll let you know how that works out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment