Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Almost like a gold medal.

Since the school holidays have started, I have been training to do Time Trials at Kings Park, Perth. This is the Early Bird Series during the summer. My daughter Holly talked me into doing it. The first one I rode was on the 29th of December and I did the slowest time ever recorded for this circuit. It was also my first TT with anything like a hill in it. I really wondered what I was getting myself in for and half way through I really wanted to quit, but I kept going and managed a less than impressive 45:48 for the 17 km circuit.
The next time (January 5th) I was determined to better my time and I did, clocking a 45:01. This was my first "PB" in anything, a personal best. I fully realise that I will never be an Olympic champion, never be a world champion, I'll never be on the national team and probably never make the Master's games, but that first PB was fantastic!
Today (January 19th), I set out with a goal of breaking the 45 minute mark. My daughter Holly had told me a few things to so to make my ride more efficient and this really helped. I attacked on the downhill section, and I turned the uphill into a pyramid drill to keep my focus. I was keeping track of my times on my bike computer and by my account I was doing well. When I crossed the finish line I did it in 44 minutes even, another personal best. Again, I was stoked and it is really hard to describe how it feels. I have to wait until December for the next "Birds in the Park" series to see how well I can do then.
I do know areas where I could do or could have done better. Firstly, getting a good nights sleep before the TT would greatly help. Unfortunately I only got about 5 hours last night because it was so hot AND we have a new puppy who wanted to play at 2 AM.
I had a good meal the night before the TT and this helped me get through it. For breakfast prior to the race I had a half cup of yogurt. Hydrate - hydrate -hydrate also a big key to surviving.
Training - I can always do more, and I have to admit I was a bit slack prior to the event. In the next TT, I would also attack more on the decent and I will be able to attack more on the ascent.
Next event - The Hilly Classic at Chhidlow. It will be interesting, to say the least.
Many thanks to my hero and coach Holly, and to my family to come out at such an early hour to watch the fat old man pedal his butt off.

No comments: