Today I did my first ever Bicycle Time Trial, and it sure looks a lot easier from the other side of the track. This has been an interesting journey for me, especially as I have only been a "roadie" since July of this year. Prior to that time I rode a mountain bike occasionally (read: rarely), but I have been working on the exercise bike since April. I started out riding only 2 kilometres and that was an effort.
With the purchase of my Avanti Giro from Fleet Cycles in Perth and my oldest daughter as my inspiration, I started training. Originally, I wanted to be able to do the TT in less than an hour. After a bit of training out here in the bush, I realised that I could probably do the 20k in about 45 minutes. So I reset my goal to 45 minutes. The more I trained (and especially after I didn't train), I seemed to be doing worse. Holly said to me that I should ride for fun, not to do each ride like a TT. The only real hole in my training plan then was I was riding 20 kilometres to train.
This seemed to work okay for me today because I managed to break 42 minutes! I rode in 41:55 and I wasn't the last one to finish! Hey, I was second last, but it was a victory for me. A Time Trial, after all, is the "race of truth" and my only competition was me and the clock.
I am happy with my result, and considering I am carrying 30 kilograms of extra baggage, I can see that I will improve. I am now shooting for 40 minutes, and my next event is on the 1st of November.
I really need to thank ATTA for running a first class, top notch event. It's also nice that people know who you are, but I am sure it's because I'm "Holly's Dad". Maybe if I'm good, people will know me for who I am (that fat out of shape old man in the Cat in the Hat jersey!).
For complete results, you would need to go to the ATTA website and click on "results". Well done Anna and Bec! Thanks also to Caillan and Kaelynn for getting up so early to see the old man ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment