Monday, April 27, 2009

Ready for a Time Trial - not just yet...

After spending the last three weeks walking around the cities of London, Paris, Cambridge and even Swansea (Wales), I thought maybe I would like to try and get in shape for a Time Trial. My daughter is my inspiration, but I am old, overweight and very out of shape. Never mind, I have a bike of sorts, for now a mountain bike, but I have this old (very old) Ricardo that I want to re-build. It needs a lot of work, and in future I'll post a couple of pics and keep everyone (if anyone actually reads my posts) up to date with the progress.
Anyway, after all my walking, I figured I'd hop on the bike this afternoon and see how out of shape I am in. The first thing I discovered is that you don't use the same muscles in walking as you do in riding. After about 500 metres my thighs were killing me, but I had a goal. I rode to the end of my drive and back, without falling off or having a heart attack. It was a whole 2.06 kilometres, and I did it in about 8 minutes. I have a LONG way to go.
In travelling abroad, I have lost at least 2 kilos, so that is good.
I'll start out small, try to eliminate excuses as to why I can't ride, work on the other bike and hopefully attain my goal of riding at Champion Lakes.
Let's see what happens tomorrow...

No comments: